Thursday, March 5, 2009

Eye Opener: Environmental Working Group


~Hello Everyone!~

I decided to do my investigation on the shampoo I use everyday. I thought this would be an interesting one to look into because my thought was..."Its shampoo~how much can it really affect my health?? Its on the outside of my body...you put in on and wash it off...." Boy was I wrong!!


I use Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine by L'Oreal. I found out that the ingredients in this shampoo are linked to the following:
~Cancer
~Developmental/reproductive toxicity
~Violations, restrictions and warnings
~Allergies/immunotoxicity
~Other concerns including: Neurotoxicity, Endocrine distruption, organ system toxicity, etc..


WOW, ok, so that was quite alarming to me!! It recieved a score of 7 on the Hazard Scale (out of 10). I also found out they test this product on animals...goodness!! What am I promoting?!?!


The area that really stuck out to me the most was that of Neurotoxicity. When tested on animals (eewww, it makes me cringe to even type that), brain and nervous system damage was reported at even "very low doses" of this product. So, what this means to me, is that someone that uses it everyday is subjecting themselves to moderate to high doses of these ingredients....maybe this could answer some questions for me :) (im kidding!) But for real, thats a bit disturbing to me.


Also, it is obviously evident the harm this product takes on animals, as they are tested with it. That was another area that stood out to me in terms of what effects this product has on the environment.

This got me to thinking....SO I eat organic and do as well as I can to recycle and be kind to the envrionment in most other areas of my daily activities. So I decided the next time I buy shampoo, conditioner and body wash, I am going to try out some new items. I have been looking at the Co-op for their choices, and I feel it is time to invest :)

Hope you all are doing well, have a great weekend!
~Fly~

5 comments:

  1. Nice post Sam! I say before ya head out to the co-op, find some shampoo and stuff on the website that isn't as harmful as your current stuff, and then look for that at the store. Idk, just a thought!

    Have a good one!
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post Samantha! I did mine on a body wash and had the same rating so I think shampoo and body wash contain a lot of the same ingredients. I didn't think it could be so bad either but WOW! Yeah right! I'm looking for alternatives for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use the same shampoo...ahhh! I cant believe all of these products that people are writing about, most of them seem really bad! I think most of us were shocked with these results and hopefully are going to make some changes! Nice Post SAM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice post Samantha!
    I was really alarmed by the results of my product as well. It's really sad how this companies aren't doing much to inform us about their products. I wonder if they even know what links to their products. well i guess i have to be more careful now when buying any cosmetic products.
    See you in class.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job Samantha!! Your results are shocking! I was shocked to hear about the neurotoxicity. That is so scary that you are subjecting yourself to that everyday. Also, the fact that your product is tested on animals, is so sad. Mine was as well. I am really happy to hear that you are going to look into different shampoo, conditioner, and body wash. Your post makes me want to look into my own shampoo and conditioner. Good for you! Goodluck!

    ReplyDelete