Thursday, February 26, 2009

Reflection: Week 4 & 5


~Hello Everyone!~

So, the end of week 6..whaaat?!?! And its the end of FEBRUARY already!! Wierd!

Well, I personally really enjoyed the last 2 weeks. We mainly just watched the documentaries "Diet for a New America" and "Future of Food". Both of these videos seemed to just suck me right in! I have really enjoyed all of the movies we have watched so far this semester.

The reason for being so into "Diet for a New America" is that I felt it hit on some sensitive areas that affect me on a personal level. Reason being, someone very close and dear to me passed away due to a heart attack...which was a situation that could have been haulted, or at least prolonged, if he had chose to eat better (less saturated fats, heavy meats, and processed foods), he would still be around today. That leads into the second area it pertained to me. Since then, I have chose to eat less meat and processed foods, and I now eat with the focus mainly on vegetables and a plant-based diet. Little did I know how I was personally helping my environment as well with eating less meat and dairy products!! That being said, I found myself really into this film.

The documentary we watched this week (week 6) absolutely broke my heart!!! All I could think about was "Do these people of power have NO moral values?!?!" OK, so I know this is a bit blown out of proportion, but honestly, how can a company/business go about their 'work', knowing it is completely tearing apart families everywhere?! And for what?...MONEY!!! Ick! Also, the things that they are doing to manipulate and change natural, beautiful organisms is disturbing. The way they pumped the poor little fish with chemicals, giving cows feed that are secretly spiked with drugs (and they dont even know it!!), and the way they physically go into the genetic make-up of things and manipulate it!?! Really, did you JUST go out of your way to damage something as pure as nature??? I could go on and on..basically all I want to get across is that it honestly breaks my heart. Maybe I took in way out of context, but that whole area has always made me upset. Just appreciating the beauty of how things are in their natural state, its hard to swallow.

Ok Ok, Im done ranting and raving :) I hope your all doing well, have a nice weekend!!
~Fly~


4 comments:

  1. I am really sorry to hear that someone really close to you passed away due to a heart attack. That is horrible. I am also glad to hear that you are not eating in the same way that he did. Not only will that keep you healthy, but you will also be making less of an impact on the environment, so good for you!!! I also enjoyed your rant on the second movie. It is refreshing to hear how much you respect the environment. These plant species were put on this earth for a reason, so why are we changing them??? Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry to hear that too. It sounds like your not headed down that path though. I cant beleive we are already into week 7??? Time flys! These films were very interesting but also sad. The last one we watched just made me mad and it sounds like it made you mad too! Well good job with your posts hope the next two weeks turn out good!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very shocked by the food usage in this country; and also the Genetically Modified food. I had no idea it has gotten so out of control. What makes sad the most is how the big food companies are manipulating all these innocent farmers. I am also getting really concerned about the food I consume because i don't even know which ones are GM, since they're not really good for you.

    Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Time is flying by! It's okay thought because I am ready for Spring Break! The films we watched I think were very beneficial and got everyone to see how their are corporations out their that will do what they can to control a market. Pretty pathetic upon Monsanto's part. Nice post Samantha!

    ReplyDelete