Monday, April 27, 2009

Share and Voice: ALLERGIES!! Uggghhh...

~Hey Guys!~



So, a couple years ago my body decided it was bored and thought it'd be a good idea to start having allergies in Spring. Sweet. Well, every year since (they started about 4 years ago), I have gotten them a little bit worse each year. You can imagine my anticipation of what this spring was going to bring. Low and behold, I thought I was dieing. So it got me to thinking...why is it that just in the past couple years I have gotten them? And why does it seem that each year I get them worse than the last? Hmmm....

I found some answers to my wonderment. Women's Health Magazine had an article on their website discussing this great issue. (you can read the full article on the site above, if youd like) Basically, what they reported was the increase in allergie symptoms of individuals is yet another issue tied into global warming, due to the growing seasons of allergens lengthening each year. This causes the release of pollen and other allergens to come full force 10 to 14 days sooner than 20 years ago. They report that the increase of CO2 in the air is causing weeds (that produce the allergens) to "reproduce like jackrabbits"...I thought that quote was awesome ha! But it totally makes sense. So, if that isnt enough, these released allergens are now kinda like SuperPowered, due to the increased CO2 that is fueling them like mad. OK, sorry for all the science talk.

ALSO... The pollutants in our atmosphere are also affecting this phenomenon. Pollen hitches a ride on the pollution that we inevitably breath in every second of everyday, carrying the little terrants right into, and DEEP into, our lungs.

So this may not be the most interesting of posts, but I found it really helpful in helping me to understand what the H-E-double-hockey-sticks was going on. It just was one more reading that opened my eyes a bit more about the importance of taking care of our planet :)

~Hope your all doing well...see you tomorrow!~

2 comments:

  1. Are you kidding? This is a very interesting post! This is a perfect example of how what we are doing is affecting the environment, which is then affecting our health. Very eye-opening!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Dr. V. Way cool post! I had absolutely no idea that global warming was increasing the amount of allergens in the air! And I also didn't know that they traveled with pollution. I am definitely going to check out the link above and read more. Really interesting post! Good luck surviving this spring!!!

    ReplyDelete