Saturday, February 7, 2009

Eye Opener: My Ecological Footprint

The first quiz I took for was calculating my Ecological Footprint. I really liked taking this quiz, on a side note besides the great information it was giving me, due to the little person I got to create....she had black spiky hair, green pants, and an orange t-shirt haha!! That was kinda cool :) Ok, down to business. I found out it would take 3.3 earths to provide enough resources if everyone lived like me. That makes me feel so bad!! Our poor planet, and each day it gets worse, I feel like a bully. When broken down, the area that is biggest for me is 'services'. Also astonishing, it takes 14.5 global acres of the Earth's productive area to support my lifestyle. I then looked more into ways I can positively change my habits to help the world around me, and how to lessen my Ecological Footprint. Check this site out for more: earthdaynetwork
The second quiz I took was The Travel Calculator. I feel this one was a bit skewerd, because in the winter I tend to drive each day. But in the summer, I rarely use a car, I walk and bike most everywhere everyday. So I think that one was a little harder to be really accurate. But it was still good to see. According this test, I am worse than average..and yes they put those fabulous words in red which seemed to make it sting that much more! I live just outside of the cities, so to go home it kind of a trek, which is a big part of why my answers turned out the way they did. A good thing is that I dont have to ever fly to get to my family, or anywhere for that matter. Guess its a plus to being so broke you cant afford a vacation :) So I looked at the tips they had on this site as to how I can lessen my harm to the environment by my travel choices. So it was good to see, and I now know a bit more about how to make those little changes when I do drive.
I came across a very interesting finding through one of these websites. I strongly encourage you to check it out: Scorecard. I put in my zip code to find out how we in St. Louis County measure compared to the rest of the world in terms of pollution. Turns out, in 2002 we ranked among the 20% dirtiest counties in the whole US!!!!! Whaaat!?!?! This is a pretty cool site, so I definately encourage you to check it out, and get a better idea of our county as a whole and what effect we are having on our world as a whole. Personally, I find it pretty scary.

A few more websites I found interesting and helpful in this area~
Best Foot Forward

All things considering from my little exercises here, I think I am now going to make sure to do something different each day to make myself and my ecological footprint a little less. That being said, I am going to walk to school today :) Have a good one!

6 comments:

  1. Very interesting statistics! Especially the St. Louis Co. one. It must be because of the the industry here...especially down by the shipping docks and near the mines up on the range.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sam! Liked your post and the colorful font you used! I also felt terrible about how my results for the ecological footprint turned out. I didn't know just how environmentally unfriendly I was being! I really liked the link you put up for Scorecard. I went and checked it out and it was very interesting all the different categories they had.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very colorful Samantha. Looks good.So far you have the least amount of Earths needed to provide us with enough resources. Nice job!I didn't feel that the travel calculator was accurate either because I bike and walk/run everywhere in the summer but I do tend to drive more in the winter. Thanks for adding that interesting site!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post Samantha! I think I did all of the same quizzes as you. I did the Scorecard Quiz and found out about how bad Duluth's air is. I also did the Travel Calculator. Luckily...the results were good for me. I was above average, though I think that the quiz was kind of skewed. I don't have a car up here, so I think that that is what saved me. I am glad that you have such a great attitude on changing your ecological footprint. I was definately disappointed with my results, but I haven't come up with something that I am going to change immediately. I LOVE that you decided to walk to school today. GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome post very colorful and fun to look at! I like how you did so many different little quizzes and the links you put in. We all can improve it looks like and your off to a Great start!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job on you post! I like the facts and the links. I am going to try and check them to learn more about where I live.
    I feel like I am bullying the earth as well, especially after taking that quiz. I think It deserves better for its remarkable service! I sometimes I feel like I am doing "enough" for the environment but this quiz made realize I am way far from enough!

    ReplyDelete